Sunday, August 30, 2009

What is a WAFFY CHOCCY !? - Chatswood

Now what sort of food would you expect from a cafe called Waffy Choccy? A wide and interesting range of waffle varieties? A menu based on Chocolatey flavours perhaps? Or simple toasted sandwiches, baked potatoes and Song Boo? Yes, of course you are right...the latter is the answer (!?!?!?!?!??!?!!). On my weekly quests through Chatswood to find something different for lunch, I came across Waffy Choccy in the base of an apartment building just near Chatswood station. The name made me stop in my tracks and I had to have a look. Waffy Choccy ? What exactly does that mean???? Its a tiny little glass fronted cafe, and as I approached, and even before I entered, the two ladies behind the counter were smiling broadly and asking me what I would like, or if they could explain anything. It seemed to be be popular enough, the few tables outside were full, and workmen ambled in and out for take away lunch, so I checked out the menu on the glassfront. I was confused, it took me a good 5 minutes to find the ONE waffle on the menu, I don't think I found ANYTHING Chocolate other than hot chocolate, so I was totally bamboozled by the cute and quirky name. The menu seemed quite unusual in its plain-ness, with one or two oddities, such as the song boo (iced red bean drink) that seemed a little pricey at $8.50. I settled on a baked jacket potato with vegetarian fillings. It wasn't quite what I expected (which was a huge, soft centred tatie with brown and crispy skin, oozing with toppings), well...it was a bowl of neatly quarted jacked potatoes, an assortment of vegetables and beans on top, with a side of sour cream. Not quite what I expected, but nice enough albeit a little overpriced. It was a reasonably sized bowl, but strangely quite a light meal. Topped off with what the menu called an "iced lemon, lime and orange coffee". What the? I think it was part of the translation and was a huge shake glass full of crushed ice, with a refreshing luminous green (!) liquid in it. Tangy and refreshing, it had no traces of coffee (thank goodness) but wasn't entirely made from fresh juice I don't think. As we ate, lots of really nice looking toasted sandwiches passed our table, so I'm sure it is just a simple cafe with a few oddities, made totally appealing by the strange and wonderfully mad name and entertainingly translated menu. Waffy Choccy can be found at 1 Cambridge Lane Chatswood. 9410 1521. Definitely a funny experience, and with a name like Waffy Choccy, won't be forgotton quickly. I giggle each time I say it!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you fell through the Chatswood rabbit hole and ended up in Wonderland! That is a bizarre menu, looks like your coffee is a citrus slushie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Its so funny, its the running joke at the office these days. I just can't stop going there though..so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how surprising! i totally expected loads of chocolate from a place called waffy choccy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, you WOULD think that!!!!! Disappointment plus.

    ReplyDelete