Still, hardly an experience I can replicate here - Christmas here in Sydney is glorious and hot. We're outside, but holding onto an icy cold drink.
So how to somehow combine the two? Mulled wine granita!!
- 100g caster sugar
- 300ml water
- 400ml red wine (preferably cabernet sauvignon)
- juice from 2 oranges
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 2 tablespoons of Beerenburg blackberry jam
- Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved. Simmer until the mixture starts to thicken (takes approximately 5 minutes). Pour into a jug put aside.
- Put wine, orange juice, spices and and blackberry jam into a saucepan and heat, stirring until the jam has dissolved. Allow to simmer until alcohol has evaporated (or not depending on your preference!).
- Pour the sugar syrup into the wine mixture, stirring until mixed. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a container and place in freezer.
- Once frozen, take a fork and break up frozen mulled wine into flakes.
Easy! A (sp)icy cold glass of mulled wine!
Sugar and spice and all things nice,
la chouquette sucrée