Saturday, November 3, 2012

ChocoMucho

Have I mentioned how much I like it when a product name perfectly matches its contents? It is either naively honest or simply lazy! Either way, there was a lot I couldn't go past when I saw a stack of these alongside their other flavoured cousins - strawberry and hazelnut.


So what does the name tell me? That it's dark chocolate tasting (tick!), contains crispy stuff (tick!), has caramel (tick!) and each bar contains 10% more than one I might have bought earlier had I ever seen these before (um okay)!

Certainly this "larger" bar was not gigantic as I could consume one at a sitting so the previous ones can't have been huge!

I'm still convinced that this box was intended for a retailer to place on a counter and sold individually. The number of bars and the way the box opens kind of lends itself to this really but given the cost was not prohibitive (under $5 for a box of 10 from memory) I was prepared to give them a go.


Admittedly, I'm a bit of chocolate snob (I do love real couverture when it's available) as I seldom consider the calories contained in a mass-produced product worthwhile ingesting! I love the concept of a chocolate bar but so often they are too sweet, contain nuts and are seldom dark enough for my palate.

I knew this one would disappoint as soon as I saw the ingredients list so I fully intended to eat one, maybe keep a couple for later then give the rest away. So why did I buy them?

Manufactured in the Philippines, the translators did well in decoding the contents for Australia's strict trade laws, but I had to laugh, or rather gasp, as I examined the packaging to find that the box contained a single serving of 10 bars!
Of course they meant 1 serving per package within the box of 10 but whether a genuine misunderstanding or a typo, I'll never know! But now I had committed so here's the side by side comparison!









Finally! A product which looks better in real life than it's image which is not always the case!
I did think on slicing it that the contents inside appeared to have shrivelled during storage. But it turned out that a simple bite restored the anticipated gooey-ness of the caramel. The crispy really was crispy and it was remarkably easy to eat.


And I did in fact enjoy eating them. They weren't as sweet as I imagined they would be and were very more-ish. Perhaps the feeling that I wasn't really eating chocolate somehow made me feel okay about eating it?! I had to eat another one a few days after the first (okay, I confess I was craving one!) to make sure it was what I really wanted (and believe me, there was a lot of better chocolate to choose from). The only way I can describe it to you is that it felt like I was eating a diet product - fake, vaguely satisfying in an "I could get used to you" kind of way but although it had a good mouth-feel about it, it didn't make me feel guilty.

There has to be something good about that right?!

Anyway, I have 8 bars left to figure out whether I really truly like them. I'll let you know when I find out!  :D


No comments:

Post a Comment